Sunday, January 20, 2008

Back from hiatus


A view of the Wind River Canyon, US. 20.

Well, it snowed here today; actually it continues to do so. What a thought: snow in Wyoming!

I've been here a fortnight now, and have gotten just about everything done that I've needed to. Another post will deal with everything you need to know to relocate, but I thought I would throw in a few notes about how things are going.

First, a few photos of the new place. The apartment has a few quirks, but I've more or less settled in.
Here is the living room. The previous occupant, Jeff, whom I have replaced at the newspaper, has said that the green monster in the corner is a favorite. I can't complain about it, but neither does is strike me as that comfy. Maybe it is the cheesy throwback to 1970's furnishings.

That said, the whole place is a throwback. Check out the carpet. Also, please forgive the laundry all over the place; I've been struggling mightily this last week to catch up. I've done nearly 30 loads so far, but I think I'm about done. I just need to do my bedclothes again, and a few more loads of stuff that had been stored for six months, and I'll be there. Why so many loads, you may ask...


It might have something to do with the puny little washing machine I've got. You've got to plug it into the sink, and it is a cripple, let me say. That said, it gets stuff clean. Just really, really, really slow. And don't even ask about the dryer.


Look mom: the bed is even made!! Well, it was until I just stripped it to do the sheets this present moment. But you get the idea. The bedroom is decent, I just wish there were more room to hang stuff. But that's always been a problem for me: I'm too lazy to iron most of the time, so I just try and hang everything.

Here's another view of the living room. I wish more of the walls were wood panel. I think I'm going to hang a sheet or something from one of the walls, all of the white is driving me nuts. Again, please mentally crop the dirty laundry laying all over the floor out of the above photo.

I'm not going to give you a photo of the bathroom, because it is too tiny to get any decent shots of. Oh, and it is too ugly to get any decent shots of. White to about four feet, and yellow above that. The bathtub is fine, an old cast iron claw-foot, but the shower head has to go at some point. I feel like I'm bathing under an almost empty canteen. And the bathroom sink does not drain worth a damn.

But other than those complaints -- well, there are a few more I can think of -- the place is pretty nice. The heat works well, which is good, because it is damned cold outside right now. Unfortunately, the place is about as energy efficient as a ... well, we just won't go there.

One more photo, just to show that my priorities are in order:


Cheers!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

timepest said...

Glad to see the flasks. I trust that it leaves the shelf from time to time and appears in a pocket every now and then. However, I am missing the Scoresby. Is it a fluke? Or did you drink it all?

Lacey said...

Modest Livings for your Modest blog, I guess! ;) Glad to see you're settled in. The unpacking and getting settled always seems to be the toughest. Looks like a nice pad to relax in. Hope you're liking it so far!

Blogger said...

Claim free satoshis from Easy Bitcoin Faucet. Up to 33 satoshis every 10 minutes.

Blogger said...

Did you think about trading with the best Bitcoin exchange company: YoBit.