Monday, April 21, 2008

Where the heavens begin no man knows

"Where the heavens begin no man knows" Nikon D80, Nikon 18-70mm, 70mm, f4.5, 1/2500s, ISO 500. "Filtered B&W, red" in Google Picasa2.

Quick: can you figure out where the snow-capped mountains end and the sky begins in the above picture? I couldn't. Click on it for the full size version.

I've had the chance to play with a fair number of photo editing toys in my day, from Adobe's Photoshop, to the GIMP (a free knockoff, but without any of the negative connotations of "knockoff" -- really a fantastic piece of software), to Picasa. At any given time I may well have Adobe Bridge, Picasa and Photoshop all cruising along my computer. Picasa, I've discovered, can do some neat things, and many of them with much more ease than Photoshop. But for some things, well, for some things PS remains the gold standard. I wish I had a chance to upgrade my computer to something can run PS/CS3 with some dignity. Maybe when I get my "economic stimulus" check. Maybe.

I really liked this shot in the original color (with some minor corrections for the D80's tendency to overexpose every damn thing), but I was messing around just now and looked at it in the filtered B&W. The original appears below (well, after some basic color correction). I had the camera stuck on "Vivid" that day, which explains the redness of the sand and dirt on the right of the river, but, if anything, the river does not appear here as blue as it was that day. The sky is still hard to discern from the mountains here.

So: better in color or filtered B&W?

No comments: