Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Photo of the Day: "The Council of Rocks"

"The Council of Rocks"
From Wyoming's Owl Creek Mountains, near the Wind River Canyon, on the Arapahoe Ranch.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-135, 18mm, f8, 1/400 sec., ISO 200. Landscape scene mode, program exposure with matrix meter, no flash or exposure compensation. Post processing includes additional clarity, saturation and vibrance with a strong contrast curve applied. That's about it.

Even though I recently said I would pass on the 18-135, it can capture sharp images when used sanely. In this case, that meant f8. I didn't shoot a lot with the 18-135, maybe 5 or 10K images, and maybe I just got a bad sample.


I've also written that you should use flash unless you have a specific reason not to. This image was taken at about 6 p.m. in the spring, looking south, with the sun setting in the west over to my right. Using flash would have changed the perspective of the light, and flash light is much cooler than the warmth conveyed by the sun in the late parts of the day.


I've scratched my head about this photo for a long time — since I took it, actually (19 April 2009). I can't put my finger on why I like so much, but I do. Perhaps it reflects on my experience taking it, a very quiet and introspective trip into the mountains, and this particular place.


How close to the canyon? Oh, about this close:



No comments: