Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Photo of the Day: "The Firemen"

"The Firemen"
Sadly I seem to have misplaced the original file, otherwise I would discuss post processing in a PCS.

Looking at it in Lightroom and Bridge it sure looks like the original file — wouldn't that be a treat? (I have cropped a bit from the right side, resized and ©ed here, that's all.) This photo ran in the newspaper; perhaps I can send word to them to find out if they still have the original.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-55 (Nikon's cheapest lens!), 31mm, f5.6, 1/125. sec., ISO 1600. No flash, program exposure mode with matrix meter and -1EV exposure compensation. This is another one of those photos that just doesn't work with flash.

This photo was a close second but missed on two counts. While I like the colors, there isn't any fire in it. What kind of fireman photo is that? And secondly, I wasn't able to get my shutter speed high enough to eliminate the fireman's blur. Next time I'll take a 35mm f1.8 with me. (At f5, the 18-55mm is as wide as it can go at the 40mm mark here. The 35mm f1.8 would have been nearly three stops faster, which means I could have had the same shot at 1/125 instead of the 1/30 here. Even f2.8 at 1/60 or 1/90 sec. would have been enough.)


No comments: