Monday, September 27, 2010

Photo of the Day: "It's Purple."


Nikon D80, 70-300VR, 185mm,f6.3, 1/640 sec., ISO 100. Center weighted metering (remember the D80 meter deserved a recall) in manual exposure mode. Normal capture mode (the scene modes don't appear until the D3/300/700/90 and later). Vibration Reduction on the Nikkor on. Shot at "Point 00" range, or as close as the lens can focus (4.5 feet from the sensor).

Note the generally pleasing bokeh. (Bokeh is the characteristic of out-of-focus stuff.) I should have moved the blade of grass, or whatever it is, just to the top-left of the flower.


While it looks like there's a lot of post processing going on here, there really isn't. I've dialed in light sharpening, applied a strong contrast curve and tweaked exposure a bit to get some rid of the veiling. Of course, my trademarked punch vibrance and clarity are turned up, too. I like the colors, I like the lighting and I like the contrast.




No comments: