Thursday, September 23, 2010

Photo of the Day: What is it? (UPDATED)

I would be interested if anyone can guess what this is a photo of. I will give several hints: there is no post processing involved. The rest of the hints, such as they are, are in the shoot specs below, and they'll be crucial to working this out.



Nikon D80, Nikkor 17-35mm, 35mm, f2.8, 1/60 sec., ISO 400. Spot metering (on red circle), manual exposure, built-in flash manually fired at 1/64 power.

I'll avoid getting too cute and giving anything more away. Sometime Friday I will post another photo and maybe another clue or two if no one has worked it out.


UPDATE: I must begrudgingly admit that I am nowhere near as clever as I thought I was, with two (correct) independent guesses coming less than 12 hours after I posted this... in the middle of the night. Congrats Kathie and Sarah. As I mentioned to some, the prize is a 375ml bottle of Makers Mark, winner must only pay S&H. There is only one bottle, so which of you wants it? (I am intent on getting the last laugh here.)

It is, indeed, a lamp, shot from below.

2 comments:

Kathie said...

I'll take a stab at it - is it a lantern, looking up with the tassels being in the centermost part of the red "circle"?

Kathie said...

Wow - get out! Okay, I didn't see anything about any prize, so send it to Sarah (want irony? I have a daughter named Sarah!). Congrats Sarah and honestly, Jonathan, it wasn't that easy of a guess. I really thought I was going out on a limb.