Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday Photo of the Day: "Balance and Contrast & Earth and Sky"



Nikon D90, Nikkor 17-35mm. 17mm, f8, 1/1000 sec., ISO 200. Matrix meter, aperture priority, -2/3EV exposure compensation in scene picture mode.


Although not as clean a ying/yang as an earlier POTD, there is still a strong symmetry between horizon and cloud. This was taken at about the same time, also in Hot Springs State Park.


Post processing work included the usual: strong contrast, bump up vibrance and saturation, and a few other tweaks. I'm still looking for a high enough quality version of the original to share here, but suffice it to say it looks like most of my other "before" images: a little duller. While I prefer to get things right in-camera (as a JPEG shooter), saturation is one of the few things best done in post, most of the time. Too much in-camera and things can get out of control in a hurry, but you can always crank it up, quickly, in post.

1 comment:

Kathie Leung said...

The mouth. Seriously, I see this as a mouth. With a mustache. And before I even read the blurb below the photo, I saw the symmetry. Great retouch, too. Do you do your retouches with software or in the darkroom? And forgive me, but didn't I read you prefer to use film over digital? Is this camera digital? Okay, enough commenting, I'm starting to feel very ignorant and probably should mark this blog as a daily read so I can avoid that in the future! :)